This is me!

This is me!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Comparing and Contrasting a Birth in the United States and Sweden


Abstract

For this blog posting I will be comparing and contrasting the birthing process in Sweden and my own birth. I was born in 1989 and the book I used for my research on Sweden births was written in 1993.

Sweden Birthing Process

I had a little trouble researching a story about a specific birthing experience in another country, but I did find a book titled “Birth in Four Cultures: A Crosscultural Investigation of Childbirth in Yucatan, Holland, Sweden and the United States”. I chose this book, because it was written in 1993 and I will be comparing this birthing experience to my own in 1989. In Sweden all births take place in hospitals and are managed by midwives (Jordan, 1993). It is commonly found in Sweden that sedatives, medications for induction, and artifical stimulation are used (Jordan, 1993). The birthing experience  in Sweden is described as an “intensely personal and fulfilling achievement” (Jordan, 1993).

My Birth

Personally I have not had any personal birthing experiences nor have I witnessed one. I thought for this assignment I would get a little bit creative and interview my Mom, Heidi Brownell, about what she remembers about carrying me in the womb, when she gave birth to me, and what happened immediately after birth.  

My mom said she was very nauseous during the first four and a half months of pregnancy. Her OBGYN offered her to take the anti-nausea drug emitrol, but this did not help with the nausea, she took it for about a week during the first trimester. She said the emitrol did not help, so instead she ate small meals. She began her days eating saltine crackers and ginger ale or diet Pepsi, eventually working her way up to a full meal by dinner time. The one food she did crave were subs at any time of day. During the second trimester she developed varicose veins in her legs and vaginal area. These were so bad her OBGYN prescribed compression stockings. During the second trimester my parents moved from an apartment to a house. This was a stressful period as my mother describes it, because she was still suffering from morning sickness. She then went on to explain at five months she began to engage in daily physical activities such as biking and walking until about 8 months. During the third trimester my mother said she experienced a lot of movement that would begin at about 10pm each night (this remains true to this day). During the 8 month of pregnancy my mother said she cut back on the exercise, because she felt a lot of pressure and was extremely fatigued. At 8 months and two weeks my mother said she was five centimeters dilated. She carried me like that for two and a half more weeks.

During the prenatal period my mother had a midwife and had two ultrasounds. One ultrasound was during the first trimester and the other was during the third trimester. She was extremely fatigued during the entire pregnancy. As my mother describes she had a very “normal” pregnancy and carried to full term. She said having a midwife was like having a good friend deliver your baby.

On November 7th around 4am my mother woke up to what she describes as “very hard labor”. She woke up my father and called grandparents to stay with my older brother. Once my grandparents arrived my mother said she remembers walking out the door doubled over saying “I can’t do this”. Once in the car my father was running red lights and doing everything he possibly could to get my mother to the hospital in time. They entered the emergency room and a woman approached my father asking “what was wrong with her” (During pregnancy my Mom only gained 18lbs so she did not look like she was in her third trimester). My father got a wheelchair and brought my Mom to the maternity ward, but my mother was dry heaving at this time as well. There were no nurses or doctor’s attending to my mother at this time. By the time they reached the snuggery the nurses took one look at my mother and quickly set up, because my mother was ten centimeters dilated and ready to push. The midwife assisted with the birth and massaged the perineum to prevent the need of an episiotomy. Just a few minutes later in the prep room at 6:34am I was born.

Immediately after birth I was placed on my mother’s stomach. My father cut the cord as I was laying on my mother’s belly and then my mother nursed me. The nurses then took me to clean me up and do all the procedural testing. I then nursed again and this time I turned blue in the face, because I was choking. The nurses took me immediately, tipped me upside down and ran out of the room with me. My mother describes feeling very panicky at this time, because she did not know what was going on. A few minutes later the nurses brought me back and I was fine. They did not know what had happened. Following the birth both of my grandmothers came with my brother to see me. During the first night the nurses had trouble settling me down, they brought me to my mother and “as soon as she spoke and coddled me I settled down.”

What I learned

After learning about these two birthing experiences I was intrigued by the fact that both experiences included midwives as a part of the birthing experience. Both birthing experiences were described to be a positive experience for the mothers. I learned both cultures, value childbirth and the importance for care during the birth. Both cultures provide quality care for the mothers during the delivery process. I would be interested to learn more about the options my mother would have had in regards to helping along the birthing process. From what I could tell the use of induction was not explored for my mother’s birthing experience, but it is common amongst births in Sweden. This study showed me that the birth of a child on two separate continents can share similarities and truly value the miracle of giving birth.

 

 

 

References



Brownell, H. (2014, May 06). My Own Birth. (L. Brownell, Interviewer)

Jordan, B. (1993). Birth in Four Cultures: A Crosscultural Investigation of Childbirth in Yucatan, Holland, Sweden and the United States. Long Grove, IL: Waveland Press Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment