This is me!

This is me!

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

My Connections to Play

“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning.”
-Mr. Rogers
“We are never more fully alive, more completely ourselves, or more deeply engrossed in anything than when we are playing.”
-Charles Schaefer

When I was a child I remember being surrounded by all kinds of toys, but the three pictures I posted were my favorite! I was very fortunate as a child to have many adults to support my play. My parents were my biggest supporters. My mother was a stay at home mom and spent her days with my brother, sister and I. She took us to the playground and library and spent time playing at home with us. My father, even though he worked full time, always found time to play with us. I can remember whenever he came home from work my brother, sister, and I would run over to him and ask him to play with us. He always joined in our play no matter how long of a day or how tired he was.
Today as I visit families at their homes and have families join in play in my classroom I am disappointed by the interactions. I find a lot of the time in the home there is a piece of technology the child is using or the parent is not joining in with their child’s play. From my own personal observations play has been centered around technology or a parent wanting their child to know their 1,2,3’s or A,B,C’s. I hope to see play at home to go back to the way it was when I was a child. A child’s playroom is one of the greatest learning environments! (I know mine was!)

            Throughout my life play was an opportunity for me to express myself. It ranged from acting out school and playing teacher, to dressing up my dolls, to making up a new game with my brother and sister. As I learn about play now as an adult I see the vital importance of the early experiences of play and why the play in my childhood was so important!



2 comments:

  1. It looks you have a good play time with your parent, sisters, and brothers and it is true the picture of play before is totally different form todays picture. Today parent they are not joint their children, As you said play has been centered around technology or a parent wanting, the parent should know the benefit of play to the child development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    I could relate to so much of your post about the way you played as a child! I agree that the more interaction children have with others when they are playing, the more meaningful their experience is. Something I have always admired about one of the teachers I had in an internship was that at the end of the day when her students were in free choice centers, she stopped whatever she was doing and played with the students. I have always admired the fact that she was able to put her teacher work down for 15 minutes and completely focus on playing and bonding with her students.

    ReplyDelete