This is me!

This is me!

Friday, July 11, 2014

Relationship Reflection

This photo is included in this post as an example of the nurturing relationships I have in my life.

Relationships have always been a very important aspect in my life for as long as I can remember. It began with my parents, siblings and pets. This has expanded to friendships and professional relationships. Currently I have very positive relationships with my family, my many pets (cat, dog, goats, and chickens), my friends, and I have recently created a new professional relationship with a classmate at Walden University.
I would like to begin by discussing why I included my pets as part of my relationships. My many pets that I have had over the years have taught me compassion, the importance of building trust, observation skills, and how to understand a feeling without words. As a caretaker of animals there is no true verbal communication one needs to care for an animal with the use of non-verbal communication. In order for one to meet the needs of an animal they need to know how to identify the signs of the needs to be met. I feel these relationships that I built with animals at a very young age have taught me how to communicate with compassion through non-verbal communication. Animals have taught me the importance of nurturing a relationship; which in many circumstances is showing affection and meeting basic nutritional needs of the animal.
Family and friends over the years have taught me about the work that goes into a relationship. My family and friends have always been there for me no matter what and I have always found I can count on them. They have taught me how to maintain a relationship. Positive relationships with friends and family means being an active part of a person’s life, staying up to date on recent events, effectively communicating with one another, and expressing to that person why their relationship means something to you.
My professional relationships have taught me the importance of having a professional network. By creating a professional network I have been able to use these people as a resource to expand my knowledge and grow as a professional. For example, if I were to have a question about how to handle a new situation that I had not encountered before I could talk to the people in my professional network. By talking to the people in my professional network I would be able to appropriately assess the best way to handle the situation that I had encountered based on their experiences, knowledge, and expertise.
I am most excited about my new professional relationship with a student at Walden University. The relationship has been formed based on the common ground of both being new to a leadership role in the early childhood field. Together we will share ideas, questions, and concerns. We will then collaborate with one another and build upon our leadership skills. I am very excited to see where this new relationship will take me.

As you can see each of the relationships I have discussed has helped me to become the early childhood professional I am today. I believe these relationships have made me a valued professional in the early childhood field, because I have learned how to effectively communicate, understand the importance of diversity, and show compassion towards others. It is not to go without saying that any relationship can be challenging to maintain. There will always be circumstances that make it difficult for one to continue a relationship, but if you truly want a relationship to work out no distance, time, or circumstance can get in the way. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    Thank you for sharing so much about the relationships in your life. I enjoyed reading about your professional relationships. I can agree that these relationships can be crucial in being the best we can be at work! I know I have learned so much from my team mates about teaching and I have also been able to make them my friends and a support system at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your post about your relationships with friends, family, professional net work, I enjoy reading about your relationships with your pets, I didn't have any pet and now I can imagine how is it important and value to built relationship with animal and as you said taught you how to communicate with compassion through non-verbal communication this great one because it teach you compassion, trust, how to understand feeling without verbal language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw your pictures, I thought, WHOA, that would freak me out! And then I thought, she looks very happy and calm. Relationships work differently for different people, your picture helped me reflect on that today. I think its awesome that you are so comfortable with animals. Perhaps you use animals with kids? Maybe you do, but your post just helped me to further realize how we have to respect different kinds of relationships as well. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the relationship with your pet is wonderful. I have always wanted a pet but I never found the time to get one. I have been fascinated by the bond a person and their pet have. I agree a pet is someone that will listen and not be judgmental. Yes, the key as you stated to a great relationship is communication. I feel if you dont have that bond of trust and understanding, then the relationship is lost.

    ReplyDelete