This is me!

This is me!

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Week 5 EDUC 6165

     In my role as a supervisor I have recently faced challenging conversations where I have had to speak with someone about a supervisory concern. This form of communication has been challenging for me as I am faced with many unexpected responses. When communicating with staff I have tried to think about the 3R’s and non-violent communication without knowing it. I have kept a calm voice, even if they raise their voice. I stick to the facts and if I do not have an answer for something right away I value what they say and tell them I will get back to them soon with an answer. In this instance I cannot suggest a compromise, but I can be respectful of what they have to say and when appropriate recognize their strengths. Sometimes it can be difficult to be respectful of and fully hear out what the other person has to say, but I know it is my responsibility to be responsive to what they are communicating. Have any of you had to address supervisory concerns if so how did the conversation go?

2 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    If your role is to act in a supervisory role in a situation where no compromise can be suggested, your best approach might be to understand the employee’s perspective and rationale for acting in a certain way. Then options to establish an alternative method of dealing with this undesirable situation in the future could be openly discussed and agreed upon. It sounds like you are working very hard to acknowledge the employee’s perspective while still accurately identifying the situation at hand.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms.Brownell,
    I have spent many years in management positions and empathize with you. The short answer is; if you are not " fully hearing" them it is best to stop the conversation and resume it later.

    ReplyDelete