This is me!

This is me!

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Welcoming Families from Around the World


For this week’s assignment I am choosing the country Switzerland for a family that were to enter into my program from a country I know nothing about to enter my early childhood program. The following are five steps I would take to prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family.
1.       I would research the country and learn about their ways of living, school settings, and common cultural practices.
2.       As I did my research about the country I would reflect upon any biases I may have as I learned more about the country.
3.       I would make sure to research their language and do my best to provide them with a greeting that they are most familiar with.
4.       I would make basic changes to my early childhood environment based on my research that would make the family feel more comfortable in my early childhood setting. I may do this by providing translations in the classroom from English to Swiss if they are not proficient in the English language. If possible I would attempt to provide a translator.
5.       I would prepare a list with any further questions I may have that would be more specific to the family to be able to learn specific cultural practices of the family. I would ask these questions over a period of time.

My hopes by taking the above five steps will benefit both myself and the family. It would hopefully open the doorway for communication. I hope to make the family would feel as comfortable as possible and welcomed as they entered my program. It will take time to build the relationship, but these steps will hopefully be the first step in building my relationship with this family.

4 comments:

  1. Lisa, you mentioned some great preparations. What made you choose Switzerland? As professionals partnering with the family and providing support is a great way to ensure the child succeed in her new environment. We must take the time to educate ourselves also to ensure we are provide an anti-bias lesson plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    I think that you bring up an important point; " It will take time to build the relationship". I think it is easy to forget that with all the steps we take to make family feel valued that relationships involve trust which takes time to be earned. It looks like you have planned to take some important first steps in building that trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, these are wonderful steps to ensuring that your new student and her family feel welcome. Derman-Sparks & Olsen Edwards (2010) have helped us to understand that in order to form a caring learning community where all children are able to learn and thrive means creating a working partnership based on what families wish for their children and what you as the teacher believe is important for children.

    References
    Dreman-Sparks, L. & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010) Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. NAEYC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, these are wonderful steps to ensuring that your new student and her family feel welcome. Derman-Sparks & Olsen Edwards (2010) have helped us to understand that in order to form a caring learning community where all children are able to learn and thrive means creating a working partnership based on what families wish for their children and what you as the teacher believe is important for children.

    References
    Dreman-Sparks, L. & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010) Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. NAEYC

    ReplyDelete