This is me!

This is me!

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Week 2 EDUC 6165 Verbal and Non-Verbal Communication

The show I chose to watch was "Roseanne". When I first watched it with the TV muted there appeared to be many relationships. There were two girls who seemed to be friends. A middle aged woman and man who appeared to be husband and wife. There was another woman who appeared to be a friend of the husband and wife and another man who appeared to be this other woman’s spouse.
                The non-verbal communication between the girls seemed that one girl was annoyed with the other and what she was saying at first. Then it appeared to be they were keeping a secret when the mother walked in. Their non-verbal communication changed and rather than look of anger and confusion on their faces they had a look of fear. Therefore the relationship with their mother did not appear to be a good one. The woman who appeared to be a friend of the husband and wife seemed to be that they were talking about a problem that she had. When the second man walked in, he seemed to be the person they had been talking about and as the show went on the non-verbal communication showed they were angry with one another, but when they kissed showed they had loving feelings for one another.
                When I watched “Roseanne” with the sound I found I had made very few assumptions about what had been happening. The spot I was most off on was the relationships. The two girls I thought were friends were actually sisters. The person who I thought was a friend of the husband and wife was actually the wife’s sister. I found for this show the non-verbal communication accurately aligned with the verbal communication. I would be interested to find out if I did this for another show if it would be different. If I were watching a show I knew well I would have already known the relationships and had a better understanding of the relationships before I even watched it.

                This assignment helped me to understand that non-verbal communication can really help one to understand how one is feeling. Granted I could not tell you exactly what the problems were that had occurred in the show until I heard what they were talking about I still knew when there was an argument happening or when the two girls were keeping a secret. I will be interested to see if others in this class had a similar or different experience than I had.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I am impressed that you chose an older sitcom to watch for this assignment. I remember watching it when I was younger. The relationships between the people on the show bring back memories. Our nonverbal communication skills speak louder than our verbal communication skills and at times contradict each other in various situations. It shows us a new way of looking at communication without sound and with sound. I watch a show Switched at Birth and the nonverbal communication between the characters are strong and their almost main way of communicating since these characters use their hands to communicate verbally. They use American Sign Language. I feel our nonverbal communication skills are the key to our soul that expresses how we really feel about any given situation whether or not I'm able to express it in a manner of understanding towards others. As a teacher, I feel it is important to gain insight on our verbal, nonverbal, and listening skills when working with young children, families, and early childhood professionals. The manner in which any form of information is shared can be interpreted in many ways based on the context and situation you are in. The more we are aware of our communication skills we can find a way to work with one another to strengthen our communication skills.

    References:

    Gase, L. (Writer/producer). (2015, February 24). Art like love is dedication [Television series episode]. In L. Gase (Executive producer), Switched at birth, ABC Family.

    O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Verbal communication. In Real communication: An introduction (2nd ed.). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

    O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Nonverbal communication. In Real communication: An introduction (2nd ed.). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

    O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Listening. In Real communication: An introduction (2nd ed.). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    I think it is so easy to make incorrect assumptions when we are only exposed to one element of communication. Even when we can use all of our senses to communicate, it can still be hard to get the same message the speaker is trying to present. For example, humor is hard to detect without sound because often facial expressions do not reveal the message the words convey. I don’t think I’m alone when I say I need all the communication cues I can get!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms.Brownell,
    Roseanne was one of my favorite shows. I really enjoyed the relationship between the kids because I am an only child and enjoy watching different dynamics among siblings.I can understand why you assumed the sisters were just friends because their body language was never really kind and touchy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,

    I totally agree with you. It is hard to know about the relationship between the characters and what is going on in the plot, unless we listen to what is being said. However, it is relatively easy to depict the feelings that the characters are experiencing based on their body language and non-verbal cues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for sharing your post. I totally agree with the fact you have to have verbal communication, I have watch the show Rosanne before. For you to understand that show you would have to have the sound on. It is so much that goes on in the show you would be lost without the sound. Watching a show with no sound is very hard to follow the story line. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete