This is me!

This is me!

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Week 3 Blog

I find myself communicating differently with people from different groups on a regular basis. In my daily encounters I speak to children, colleagues, staff whom I supervise, family, and friends. The language I use varies based upon the group of people who I am talking to. When I am talking to my family and friends I use more slang language and I am not as cautious about my non-verbal communication. Talking with colleagues and staff whom I supervise the language I choose is professional. I do not use slang or words or profanity. I am also careful to be aware of my non-verbal communication. I do my best to use good listening skills and always consider the platinum rule when having a disagreement with someone. When communicating with children I am very aware of all of my communication skills. I use verbal communication I know they will understand along with introducing them to new words. I am careful to make sure to give them enough time to respond back to me and give time for them to express themselves in their ways of communicating. In regards to race, religion, political affiliation, and sexual orientation I do not find myself often communicating differently unless it is to express a sign of respect. 

2 comments:

  1. Ms.Brownell,
    So much of how we communicate with young children goes unnoticed. Thank you for pointing out the importance of giving the little ones time to process what is being said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    As you mentioned your interaction with young children, your thoughtfulness about giving them time they need to respond makes me think that you must also be using lots of positive non-verbal communication so naturally with them too! I enjoyed reading your post.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete