This is me!

This is me!

Sunday, March 9, 2014

A Child's Drawing: More than meets the eye

 
This drawing I pulled from my associates degree portfolio. In the eyes of anyone except for the child who drew this, the picture may look like lines, a few different letters and numbers, scribbles, etc. I had the opportunity of being there when this picture was drawn. This picture of the drawing is a copy of a child's original artwork in black and white. I made a note stating that she used the colors pink, brown, and black. When the child was done drawing the picture I made this statement to the child; "Tell me about your picture." The child responded by saying "This is a picture of Mommy a long long time ago in Egypt".
I have many pictures like this that children have given me. I feel it is important in my role to make a simple statement to a child "Tell me about your picture" I do this rather than stating what I might see, because I am not the artist. The child who drew this picture drew it with a purpose and after she told me what she drew I could have carried endless conversations with her. We could have talked about Egypt, Mommy, or how long a long time really is.
So, why did I choose this picture? I chose it because it shows the endless opportunities for a child to learn from their very own artwork. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa

    Fabulous pictures of you and glad to have you on our "Blogging Board".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree a child may think he / she just drew some lines in that drawing. As I
    viewed the drawing there the alphabet B, numbers 2, 5, 1, 3 and 7.
    This child was very creative. I learn some children drawings demonstrate sadness,
    stressful environment such as abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! Your outside perspective explains perfectly what I meant. This child had so much more to tell about her picture than the letters and numbers that we as adults can see. I am so glad you are able to see that the drawing has so much more meaning. It is good to have a child tell you what they are drawing, rather than you telling them what they drew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love when children draw pictures that might look like random lines and actually have a meaningful story behind them. Teaching art twice in summer programs is initially what inspired me to explore this field, so thank you for sharing this picture it made me smile!

    -Kind Regards,
    Sherria

    ReplyDelete